RE: Recap - Two seater street/stock class car

To: Patrick Jones <pcjones33@yahoo.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Recap - Two seater street/stock class car
From: "Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto}" <peter.thana@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:33:18 -0700
Hi Patrick,

A good summary.  I didn't want to ramble too long in the previous reply,
but here are some more thoughts:

S2000, '00-'03 vs. '04:  Supposedly the SAC/SEB will try to put both in
the same class next year, be it AS or BS.  Both cars can be locally very
competitive in either class, and nationally they can compete if not be
"the car" on all courses in AS.  Obviously the 2 liter car is a proven
winner in BS.

After many co-drives in '00 and '02 models and a year of running my '04
I believe the '04 is an easier car to setup to 95% of its potential.  I
personally think the suspension changes (stiffer front springs, softer
rear springs and bar, slight geometry changes in the rear) were for the
better, but the downside of the '04 is that the lower redline and
shorter gearing make it run out of 2nd gear *a lot*.  This isn't as much
of an issue on small local courses, but on larger national style courses
you can pretty much count on shifting.

But the suspension changes make the car much easier to set up. The old
car needed a huge front bar at minimum to calm the tail happy balance
and kill inside wheelspin (the car has a Torsen but will pick the inside
rear clean off the ground).  Depending on the surface and/or tires, it
might also need shocks, and even then it might still have wheelspin.  My
car with a front bar only (and a 1.25" hollow rather than solid at that)
never has wheelspin, no matter what tires, what surface, or what bar
setting.  If you just want to throw Kumhos on and run locally, the '04
is easier to setup, easier to drive, and overall more balanced IMO.  If
you're comparing both cars with maxed out setups at the national level,
I think you will have more of a course dependent wash based on gearing.

I am very happy with my S2000.  It is fun, quick enough, and well built.
The only thing I have never liked about them is that the steering, while
very precise, doesn't build effort in relation to cornering or braking
loads.  The feel is always exactly the same, and a little bit
overboosted and numb compared to something with a manual rack like your
Elise.  But the tradeoff is that it is very very quick, direct, and
precise once you get used to it.  The '04 steering has a little bit more
weight at low speeds than the older cars.  IMO the Miata still has
better steering feel though.

Regarding the Boxster, it is really an excellent car.  I think it's
brilliant how they stuck the flat 6 under the convertible top.  It makes
for a low CG, and since both top and engine only take up one vertical
section of car, the Boxster has far more luggage space in its two trunks
than any other roadster of comparable size.  This makes it a much more
versatile car for long road trips.

Good luck- all of these cars should meet your needs.  Just need to drive
them and pick what you like best!

Peter