Re: Recap - Two seater street/stock class car

To: Patrick Jones <pcjones33@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Recap - Two seater street/stock class car
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:00:52 -0700
On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 12:52:37PM -0700, Patrick Jones wrote:
> Mazda Miata

> The 6-speed Anniversary/Limited Edition models were mentioned as
> great on the street with more comforts, but for autocross, you may
> be shifting from 2-3-2 more than you would like.

For the real creature comforts you'd want a 2001-04 leather package
car with 6-speed, ABS, and suspension package.  I had one before the
'99 Sport dropped into my lap.  The issue with the 6-speed gearing is
really only on National style courses.  The 6-speed is usually perfect
for SFR courses (get full use of 2nd) and AAS courses (get full use of
3rd).  '99-00 sport packages are out there, but they may be hard to
identify.  The easiest way is to ask the owner to check the sticker on
the passenger side door frame.  Under "suspension" it says "HARD S" to
indicate the sport suspension package.  Strangely, "SPORT S" indicates
a group of parts that go with the leather package!

Note: the blue 10th Anniversary Edition comes with the suspension
package.  The burgundy 2000 Special Edition does not.

> 1990 - 1995 Toyota MR2, 2nd generation.  This car got
> a couple of mentions.  It isn't a convertible, but it
> is a two-seat, mid engine car that is normally
> aspirated (E-Stock) or turbo charged (B-Stock).  I
> don't see many listed on the results pages but I know
> they have done very well in the past.

I didn't even think to mention these when I wrote to you originally,
so I'm glad Peter did.  I think that these are great cars, and easy to
drive when you have them set up right.  The sad part is that E stock
participation is dwindling and the SAC is considering moving the
1994-1997 Miata into the class to spice things up.  It's not much
cause for concern at the local level, but some people are worried that
the MR2 will be rendered obsolete for National level competition.
Like the S2000 AS/BS decision, it's still up in the air.

> 2005 Lotus Elise
>

> There are a few options on the Elise, but all of them in the US will
> come with the Touring Package (creature comforts).

Nah, I'd just say "the vast majority".  If I got one, I'd get
window cranks and cloth seats!  It's optional, and it adds 20 pounds,
you know!

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94