Re: motor

To: Paul Robichaud <galcomp@ma.ultranet.com>
Subject: Re: motor
From: "S.G.Schiro" <gschiro@qsky.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:03:04 -0600
Paul Robichaud wrote:

>         No....this is not about doors.
>
>         I want to put a 351W with dual quad in my car.  I have read various
> emails  regarding frame strength.  Will I have any real problems.  I am
> going to use a beefed up automatic trans.  Other than motor and trans,
> everything thing else is stock.  Any ideas or comments???
>
>         Paul

If your Brick is a '75 or '76, a 351W is standard.  If it is a '74, then
you must make sure the new motor mounts are correct and aligned,
especially if beefing up the transmission alters it's position or angle
relative to the engine and frame. Mis-alignment will cause real problems
regardless of how strong the frame is.

I don't know how sturdy the stock motor mounts for the 351W are, but
there are two basic issues you need to consider: How much torsion in the
drive train will your engine/transmission cause given the existing
mounts and how much torsional flexing will the frame experience as the
drive train "winds up" and transfers this load to the frame and
suspension.

I don't have any specific information to offer but it will depend on how
much torque the engine will generate.  You may have to use trial and
error to see how well it works.  On the other hand, people have
successfully put Ford 460 and 427 CID engines in Bricklins so it is
possible to handle considerable torque.  The question is what
modification, if any, were made besides putting in new motor mounts.

Hopefully some other members of the list can shed some light on this
question based on their experience.  It is a piety Terry Tanner isn't
part of this list as his experience would be helpful.

George Schiro