Re: Air Injection Thing

To: Jim Isbell <jisbelljr@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Air Injection Thing
From: "S.G.Schiro" <gschiro@qsky.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 12:02:29 -0600
You may have several choices.  If your area doesn't mandate smog testing
there is no immediate need to replace the pump, but there is also no
guarantee that this will not change or you might want to sell the
vehicle in the future to someone who lives in a high-enforcement area.

You could replace the pump.  My pump is also missing.  In my ignorance I
didn't realize one was part of the original equipment package when I
bought the car.  I haven't looked myself yet, but I suppose it isn't too
difficult to get a replacement.

A third choice would be to install modern catalytic converters (after
taking care to avoid setting the fiberglass floor pan on fire!).  Some
varieties of converter use an air feed from a belt driven pump to
improve hydrocarbon burning.  I wonder whether that would satisfy the
under-hood police looking for original anti-pollution equipment and the
tail-pipe police looking for low actual emissions, assuming that the
original pump is compatible with new catalytic converters.

I have no idea what would happen if you ran the air pump feed into the
exhaust manifold and installed catalyic converters as well.

George Schiro