Re: Gasoline

To: wingracer@email.msn.com, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasoline
From: StudeAnt <StudeAnt@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 17:10:06 EST

<< Was it '71 or '72? My '72 454 'vette was the first of the low
 compression models for use with regular fuel. >>

GM dropped their compression overall (with certain truck and Hi-Po engines
excepted) in '71. In '72 they changed the way HP and Torque were measured
going from the Gross system to the S.A.E. Net rating. That is they measured
the power basically at the rear wheels with all the belt driven accessories in
the Net system VS. measuring the power at the flywheel with the carb and
timing optimized for the Gross system. So this left us with a real power loss
from '70 to '71, and a "paper" loss from '71 to '72 (at least at GM). Chrysler
had hi-comp. till '72, Ford, hmm, who cares? :-) Only kidding, I'm not sure,
but it must've been along the same timeframe. Anthony