Re: Gasoline

To: bricklin@autox.team.net, StudeAnt@aol.com
Subject: Re: Gasoline
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 15:11:06 PST
I think that Chrysler stopped after the 71 model year.  That was the
last year that the hemi and 440 6 pak models were around.  I
intentionally bought a 71 Charger R/T that year instead of 72 because of
that.  Unfortunately I got the 440 Magnum model instead of spending the
$1,000 more for the hemi -- so the car cost 5,200 instead of 6,200. And
just think, in three years there would be a Bricklin for 8,500!

><< Was it '71 or '72? My '72 454 'vette was the first of the low
> compression models for use with regular fuel. >>
>
>GM dropped their compression overall (with certain truck and Hi-Po
engines
>excepted) in '71. In '72 they changed the way HP and Torque were
measured
>going from the Gross system to the S.A.E. Net rating. That is they
measured
>the power basically at the rear wheels with all the belt driven
accessories in
>the Net system VS. measuring the power at the flywheel with the carb
and
>timing optimized for the Gross system. So this left us with a real
power loss
>from '70 to '71, and a "paper" loss from '71 to '72 (at least at GM).
Chrysler