Re: Blower quite

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blower quite
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 18:44:29 -0400
At 11:49 PM 7/6/98 EDT, Slvrcharm7@aol.com wrote:

>I need them b/c our blower quit....it is a hot car anyways  (in two ways)
>but no a/c is awful....

Stephen,

   That's not an uncommon problem.  Unfortunately, my harness is in a
box somewhere.  However, I can tell you the 3 places to look.

1. The most common problem, is there is a wire wound resistor in the
   blower box that controls the voltage (speed) of the motor.  It is
   held in place with a single screw (I think).  Anyway, when this
   resistor burns out, the motor will quit, or only work on some speeds.

   We need to check the value of this resistor and see if we can't come
   up with some way of making them.  This resistor has blown out on both
   my 84 Civic wagon and my 84 Accord.  The only place I've been able to
   find them is at the dealer.

2.  The blower motor itself.  Try finding the wires to it and find the
    plug that connects it to the wiring harness.  Pull the plug apart.
    NOW VERY CAREFULLY clip lead the connector that goes to the motor
    to 12V and to ground.  If the motor spins fast and with little
    noise, the motor is OK.  Other wise the brushes are gone.  (This
    just happened to my 84 Accord.)  To replace the motor, you will
    have to remove the dash.  (See my article on this.)

3.  The switch to at the dash has all the current that is required by
    the motor going through it.  It is very common for this switch to
    burn up.  Terry Tanner and I have discussed this and I suggested
    that we look at putting a relay in the line near the motor.  Then
    let the switch on the dash control a low current to the relay, and
    let the relay handle the high current to the motor.  We just haven't
    had  time to play with it yet.  (Some food for thought.)

Hope this helps some.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V