?How many Bricks in CA?

To: Bricklin List <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: ?How many Bricks in CA?
From: "K. Bennett" <klmwb@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:41:15 -0700
Anyone have any guesses - informed or otherwise - as to how many pigs,
errrrr, I mean Bricklins, there are in California?  If you are an owner
of one here, what do you do about registering it, getting it to pass
Smog Tests sans catalytic converter, and/or buying mandatory insurance
for less than half its value for one year?  I've been told several times
that it can only be insured by the cost of replacement of all body
panels and innards in lieu of the Blue Book's listings because they
aren't "normal" autos, and "should expect problems" if I insist on
keeping it here????

...I'd like to take ours off blocks, but it doesn't seem "do-able" if
what I've been told is true.

BTW, I am not known for politely sucking my way around or through any
bureaucratic gauntlet, but especially NOT within our local DMV
Offices.   As a result of winning the battle with them over registering
my van without seats, I've not been forgotten or forgiven for the
challenge nor for the victory over their heads.  It is rather unlikely
that I will find any "friends" there, so learning of
precedents/loopholes may be the only practicable option to take.  With
proper ammunition, I could hope to successfully skip the argumentative
nature of "the law!"

Any advice on how to deal through this load of cog-crap, as well as
singular replies to any of these questions, from someone who has
successfully played this game will be much appreciated...

Kathy B.
"The more I know, the more I know I need to know more."
(By:  A Smart Person.)