Re: Headlights

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headlights
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:54:05 -0400
At 04:01 PM 7/12/99 PDT, Kim wrote:

>I just put a new vacuum can on my 74 and had that problem.  I found that I
>had hooked up the new can backwards.  Remember, you need vacuum to stay on
>the switching side of the relay long enough because if that side drains too
>fast and the relay defaults to open and there is enough vacuum on the common
>switched leg, the light goes up -- it has to.  On the other hand, assume
>that the car loses it vacuum overnight (most all do).  In the morning when
>you start it, if the vacuum doesn't go the the switching leg first, up will
>jump that light until vacuum builds up again and makes the relay switch.  So
>for me, it was just a matter of hooking the two hoses that go to the vacuum
>can up properly.

Gang,

On the 74s and early 75s they used 2 relays.  I would expect that this would
require more vac. also.  On the later cars, they changed to only 1 relay.
You might want to check both of the relays and maybe try switch to only
using 1 of them.

Unfortunately, I can only speculate as I haven't had this problem with my
car.  It's never been driveable since I've owned it (1988).  Hopefully that
will change in the next year or so!

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org