Re: Brick mailing list roster

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:48:02 -0400
Hey gang,

  I received a post yester day about a locking steering wheel that will NOT
unlock.  Here is my initial responce to Bill:

---------

>  My immediate problem is that I haven't started it in over a year and the
>ignition switch will not turn (new battery, steering wheel lock not
>  Will I need to pull the steering wheel ?

Bill, have you tried:
1. spray some WD40 into the key slot of the key lock - this is not really
   the ignition switch.  The ignition switch is located at the bottom of
   the steering col.

2. Try putting some pressure on the key as you try and move the steering
   wheel back and forth.  It is not uncommon for the ft. wheels to move
   some and cause the steering col. to pinch the pin that locks the wheel
   in place.

If that doesn't do it, you may have to remove the steering wheel and or
disassembly the col.

John

----------

Today I received a reply that the above didn't work:

I have tried most of the items on your list in order to get the ignition
key to turn but without success.  Do you or another club member have
detailed instructions on pulling the steering wheel to get at the problem?

Can anyone give Bill any help on getting to the locking mech.

His email address is:  billeg@bellsouth.net

TIA

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org