Re: Yet another door question

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Yet another door question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:16:59 -0400
At 08:40 AM 4/10/00 -0500, Mitch Huffington wrote:
>Jess,
>    Your outside switch is sticking in the up position.  When you push the
>switch to go down in the inside you are letting the air out but the outside
>switch is still letting air in the cylinder.  Mine did this for a while
>after I pulled it out of storage.  I kept on pushing mine up and down until
>it worked smoothly.  It probably had some dirt or corrosion in it.  You
>might be able to lube the switch, I am not sure what to use.  Maybe try
>powdered graphite unless somebody on the list has a better idea.  The only
>other fix would to replace the switch.  Somebody on the list found a place
>that sells switches just like the originals I believe that it is on the
>parts cross reference page on the BI site.

I agree with Mitch's assement that you probably have a problem with you
outside switch possibly sticking up position.  However,

DON'T USE GRAPHITE TO CLEAN THE LOCKS.

I'm pretty sure graphite is a conductor!  It's used as a dry lubricant.
But when it comes to electricty, you will NOT get it out of the switch and
it can cause the switch to short out!

Try going to a local radio shack and getting some "contact cleaner" or
"TV tuner cleaner".  This is designed to clean the contacts and then
evaporate!
If you can't find any, then use something like brake cleaner or even WD40.

BUT DO NOT USE GRAPHITE!