Engine swaps

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine swaps
From: "Owen Evans" <tybach@adan.kingston.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 09:34:57 -0700
Jimmy, you asked about engine swaps. I have thought about this a lot. Among
my other cars are Rover SD1's which have all aluminum V8 engines, 218 c.i.
which originated as 1961 Buick engines so North American intakes and carbs
bolt on. The production Rover engine is red lined at 6000 rpm which is
higher than the Buick so although cams are interchangable the Buick profiles
or not designed for the high rpm but Crane and others did make good cames
for the engine. 220  hp is easily achievable and the engine alone would
lighten the car some 300 lbs. 5 speeds are also available or a kit is
available to utilise a Toyota Celica is available. Rover automatics are GM
units.
I decided in the end to keep the 351W,  upgrade it and I've added an 88
Mustang 5 speed so that I can keep my Rovers complete. The Rover engine is
in demand and all the necessary parts are available. The Range Rover version
of this engine is up to 4600 ccs whatever that is in cu ins.
Owen Evans
Ontario
Canada