Re: Bricklin Engine Swaps?

To: JimmuC@aol.com, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bricklin Engine Swaps?
From: "Phil Martin" <pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 02:47:30 GMT
You could put in almost anything you want - same as any other car.  It
depends on your goals, resources, fabrication skills, and patience.

If you've got an AMC-engined car, then a 401 will essentially drop in as a
direct replacement, and these engines are capable of making really big
power.  If you've got a Ford powerplant, then a built 351W will also make
more hp than you can reasonably hope to get to the ground.

If you want more cubes, then a 351 can be stroked to something like 427
cubic inches.  I'm not sure if you can stroke a 401 or not - Tom Benvie is
on this list, and he knows a ton about AMC's and could fill you in on that.

Now, if you want something lighter to get some weight off the front wheels
and improve handling, then going with an all-aluminum engine, or a
turbocharged 4 or 6 cylinder would be a reasonable alternative.

Note, though, that going to a race-spec aluminum block for a big V8 won't
really save you weight over the factory cast-iron piece (since the race
blocks are super-duty with massive, massive webbing).  Note also that some
cast-iron 6's will come up as heavy as a 351W with aluminum heads, intake,
and tubular headers.

Personally, I'm planning to build mine with a turbocharged Mazda 20B 3-rotor
engine, or maybe a custom 4-rotor setup of my own design...
--
Phil Martin
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive"