Re: Engine swops, ref John T Blair comments

To: tybach@adan.kingston.net, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine swops, ref John T Blair comments
From: "Phil Martin" <pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 02:58:40 GMT
>Even greater improvement would be achieved with the Rover rear end
>which is coil springs, trailing links and Watts linkage stabliser.

A Watts linkage could be added to the Brick's leaf-spring rear suspension -
it's been discussed here before, but I don't know if anyone here has done
it.

Originally, that was my intention.  However, the project got a bit nuts, and
now I've got an independent setup back there, based on a 'Vette IRS with
aluminum lower control arms, trailing arms carrying the hub, and race-spec
adjustable coil-overs.  There's also an adjustable anti-roll bar going back
there...

>However, what I would like to know has anyone replaced the rear
>suspension upper links with a stabiliser bar? If so I would be
>interested in how it was done.

I'm not really sure what you're describing here.  By "stabilizer bar" do you
mean an anti-roll bar, or a setup like a Watts linkage or Panhard bar?  Any
of these changes would be independent of whether you kept or removed those
torque arm things back there.

There have been some claims that those upper links have a tendency to bind
and release in a manner that induces some nasty fishtailing behavior...
I've never driven a Bricklin, but my understanding is that they'd benefit
from a more positive rear end locating system, and that a rear anti-roll bar
wouldn't be a bad idea to offset an understeer tendency...

--
Phil Martin
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive"