Re: power steering fluid

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: power steering fluid
From: "Seth" <sbunin@provide.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 12:54:43 -0500
Don't put brake fluid in your steering system (unless you really want to replace
the entire power steering).

Power steering fluid used to be synonymous with Transmission Fluid. I couldn't
tell you whether it was Type F or Dextron II, But I know Type F works.

Dot 3 brake fluid is not compatible with anything. It is caustic, and will
eat paint, plastic, rubber, and seals (brake cylinders have special brake fluid
resistant seals in them).

And while I'm on the topic, don't put silicone based brake fluid in a
non-silicone
based system (Dot 3 and 4 are non-silicone). If you do, you'll find that your
seals
which worked with the Dot 3 and 4 have now either swollen and frozen your
brakes,
or worse, been eaten by the silicone. Not to mention that Dot 3 and 4 don't mix
well
with silicone, so if you are going to use Silicone brake fluid, you need to
start with a
brand new dry brake system.

Seth