Re: power steering fluid

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: power steering fluid
From: "Seth" <sbunin@provide.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 14:00:49 -0500
The reason you can't use Dot 5 with ABS systems is that we (did I mention
I'm an ABS systems engineer) use EPDM rubber in our seals. EPDM and
silicone don't get along at all. Dot 5's major pro's are it's almost zero
hydroscopic characteristic (won't absorb water) whereas Dot 3 and 4 are 5%
hydroscopic, and Dot 5 has a much higher boiling point which is why it is used
in race cars where they tend to do much more agressive braking. Also, Dot 3 and
Dot 4 are interchangable.

All in all, I'd say the moral of the story is, unless you're planning on doing
something
other than driving your car on the street, stick with good old Dot 3.

Seth