Re: VIRUS ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:38:19 -0500
Stephan, I think you are over reacting, especially since you virus scanner
caught it.

Badtrans is one of the 2 hot (new) virus' that are out.  I know several local
companies were down a week ago because of it.  I also received a copy from
someone (don't remember who) the night I was finishing the magazine!
Fortunately, I do NOT run MS Office.  I run WORKS.  I don't like accepting
DOC or XLS files either because of the potential for virus payloads.  That's
why I want files as RTF or CVS files.  The can't carry a virus.  I also
do NOT use outlook.  I run an older copy of Eudora (light 3.0).  While I
have the later PRO version I don't use it.  The light version seem to not
be as vanerable to virus' as the newer version.

I also run Norton Antivirus software.

Which brings up a point for the newer computer users on the list (if there
are any).  If your machine came with an antivirus program, DON'T trust it.
You need to get either Norton or McAfee and PAY for the updates.  Both
companies come out with updates to the "signature file" (identifies the
various virsus') about once a week.  To subscribe to for the updates IS
a "for fee" service.  But in today's computer age, it is a MUST!