Re: Radiator Fan Clutch

To: "bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator Fan Clutch
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@mnsi.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:42:44 -0400
 In my opinion the brick should not have a fan clutch. They work to save
power and fuel mileage at the expense of cooling. For most cars this is an
advantage but in the cooling challenged brick you need all the airflow you
can get. The fan clutches start to slip about 2500 rpm and go into full
coast a bit higher, this fine for most cars with big grille openings with
good airflow at speed. the brick doesn't fall into this category so a fan
clutch should be avoided. flex fans work along the same line as they flatten
out at higher rpm thus creating less draw. I guess the ideal thing would be
to use an adapter hub that replaces the clutch. The only thing is I've only
seen one and the made it himself. the howl of the fan at speed might be a
bit annoying but so is overheating.
 I replaced the thermal clutch on my old motorhome last year and it lowered
the temps to a comfortable level for a while but they have started to creep
back up again. I paid $55 for a good brand name clutch and it only lasted a
year (10,000 miles). the MH suffers from poor aerodynamic design like the
brick, only instead of a too small opening it just has so much frontal area
the all the air gets swept to sides before the grille gets to catch enough.
Rick