On the subject of overheating

To: "'Bricklin'" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: On the subject of overheating
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:01:30 -0400
One of the most common themes I read about regarding Bricklins is running
hot and/or overheating so I thought I'd offer information to anyone
interested.

I have a 1974 automatic that is, as far as I know, bone stock except for the
air door conversion.  The mileage is under 3,500.  I have driven the car in
temperatures as cold as 30 F and as hot as 95 F with heavy humidity.  I have
seen a variety of driving conditions from highway to city to stop and go to
sitting idling for 30 minutes or more.  No matter what, the engine
temperature does not get above about 190 F (I'm using the dash mounted gauge
as the indicator).  The car, when cold, gets up to operating temperature at
the right pace and then holds 190 F.  I'm running the stock thermostat
which, if memory serves, is 190 F.  I do not run the A/C.

My point here is that if I knew how to tell if there are cooling system
modifications to my car, I could share with everyone what is working.  If
someone can tell me what was stock and what is not, I could check and report
back to the group.

Stephen I. Early
Portfolio Conversions
MBNA America