Re: On the subject of overheating

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: On the subject of overheating
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:34:39 EDT
In a message dated 6/10/2002 11:12:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jimp@SALT.FirstIndustrial.com writes:

> On cooling, those of you that have purchased the new TT air dam, has it made
> a difference? I still have the original 74 air dam.

Yes I think so but sorry I can't give you a straight answer :-)  When I
bought #670, it had a "scoop", not the 74 air dam.  The temp seldom got over
180-190 depending on conditions prior to rebuilding the engine before last
year's meet.  I hear it is normal for newly rebuilt engine to run hotter
(???) and it was running a little hotter, especially at low speed in the
traffic jam Jim and I encountered on the way to the meet.  At the meet the
car was damaged in the infamous trailer incident and went back to Terry's for
repair and more extra work.  Since the scoop was damaged, and already not
"stock," I opted to replace with the compound scoop.  Since then, it does
seem to be cooler than it was with the new engine and old scoop.  Supposedly,
the underhood temps should also be lower (at speed obciously) due to the
compound scoop moving more air through the engine compartment.
The only way to know for sure is to measure a car under the same conditions
with the different dams/scoops and compare engine temp and underhood temps.
BTW, heat causes a lot of problems but the hood corners curling up is due to
the acrylic trying to straighten itself.  Mine curl up if it gets too cold in
the garage, but go down when driving or in the sun.

George Curley #670,220