RE: Welding

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Welding
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:05:42 -0500
Tim,

I agree with George in that you should go with a MIG and not a flux core
machine.  I also think one of the most important things to look at is the
duty cycle.  Welding is an intermittent process.  While the machine may be
turned on, you are not actually welding the whole time it is on.  The duty
cycle refers to the percentage of time you can be welding.  For example, a
machine with a 20% duty cycle in 15 minutes will overheat if you weld for
more than 3 minutes in a 15 minute period.

Some other features I would look for are a burn back control, and a cart
with wheels.  It gets tedious moving the welder and the argon cylinder
around by hand.  Another factor is the voltage the unit needs.  Some can run
on 110v but the duty cycle is typically much lower.  A 220v machine will
have a higher duty cycle but may require you to install a 220v outlet,
assuming you have room in your circuit breaker panel for a 220v breaker.

Finally, I don't agree with George that parts are difficult to get with the
Sears unit.  Of all the 'homeowner' type places, Sears is one of the best
for parts availability.  However, a Sears unit will not be up to the task of
heavy use.  If you're just doing some weekend welding, I see nothing wrong
with getting one of the better Sears units.  Other brands are Lincoln,
Century and as George mentioned, Hobart.  Hobart makes really durable units
but you'll pay for the durability.

You might want to pick up a welding book to help you make an informed
purchase.

Stephen I. Early
Technology Sector
MBNA America