Welding

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Welding
From: "Tim Triplett" <ford_edge01@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 02:02:45 GMT
This is just a general inqury into what I should look for in a welder.  There
are alot of options out there and need a little help making sense of it all.  I
know the terms, know the difference in MIG vs Flux core, as far as how they
work but I am just looking for a good quality machine that will work well for
body work.  Should I look at a MIG or a Flux core , which would work the best.
How many Amps should I need, and how thick should I look for, is 1/8" too
small.  I figure if I'm spending the money,  maybe I should look at something
that can go up to maybe 1/4" incase I need it later.  I want the least
expensive option that can compromise with my needs.  I am a beginner so I am
looking at the entry level models, mostly the Lincoln Electric brands but Sears
does have a Craftsman model for 199.99
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00920568000&tab=spe#tablink
  I'm looking at spending no more than $300 or so.

Thanks in advance,

Tim