Re: why a Bricklin?

To: "bricklin@autox.team.net" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: why a Bricklin?
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins@cybersurfers.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:39:51 -0700
Paul,

I didn't mention the safety factor although that's a huge plus.  I was
broadsided by a pickup truck a little over a year ago while making a
slow left turn on a foggy morning.  One of the many fools out there was
speeding in the fog and not watching the road (had his dog with him,
guess he was talking to the dog instead of watching the road).  Didn't
try to stop until just as he hit, no skid marks or any of that, just
"Bam."

Truck penetrated to mid point in spite of the massive frame and extra
door protection and the bird cage.  My door still worked, got out and
walked around looking at all the colorful "confetti" littering the
ground.  Cops, when they got there thought I was just a looker, didn't
expect the driver of that car to still be operational.

In a DeLorean with it's X frame, I would have been crushed and it would
have been the end of my adventures, likewise my S-10 pickup, no way
could any sort of conventional vehicle have let me walk away from that
wreck.

I have to confess I saw the truck seconds before impact but I was going
too slow to get out of the way.  Couldn't punch it, had a new Holley
carburetor and hadn't tamed it yet (never did).  If I had tried to punch
it it would have died.  I'm running the Motorcraft 4-barrel carbs now,
very happy with them, can rabbit out of the way with amazing
acceleration.

Anyway, if I'm ever impacted again, I want to be in a Bricklin.

Les