Re: Why a Bricklin?

To: jhuckins@cybersurfers.net, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why a Bricklin?
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:40:16 EDT
Bricklins always appealed to me from the first time I saw a magazine article
in 1975.  I like the uniqueness, but the reactions of other people are not why
I own one (or 2 or 3..), and I occasionally think a little less attention
might be better.  Nevertheless it is part of the ownership experience.

The doors and styling are more a factor than the low production numbers.  It
gets attention wherever it goes, unlike many other more rare cars.  For
example I have another car of which less than 180 were built, and I only know
of
about 5 in North America and 4 elsewhere still on the road.  It may get a lot
of
attention at club events, but the average driver and even car enthusiast do
not recognize it.  The Bricklin is definitely more of an attention getter.
Doors up or down, it looks--and is--different from anything else.

I agree with the comment about heads turned per dollar spent ratio.  At a
local car show, it was parked next to a $1.2 million Duesenberg and had as much
or more interest from spectators.  I'm not sure what the Bizzarini on the other
side cost, but it didn't get nearly the attention of the Bricklin.  Downtown
during the Ann Arbor meet a few years ago, it attracted almost as much
attention as the Ford GT prototype (at least until they fired up its engine,
lol).

George #220, 670