Dead Battery Cause

To: "bricklin@autox.team.net" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dead Battery Cause
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins@cybersurfers.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:06:59 -0700
I'm two for two on battery drainers (two Bricklins), in both cases it
was the alternator.  The first one took the battery down in three days,
charging just fine the whole time.  I got a spark when disconnecting the
battery lead, pretty good short.  Trying to think what might be on the
line full time I removed the hot lead from the alternator, got a spark
there too.  Measured diodes to ground with an ohm meter, was a path to
ground per measurement.  Replaced the alternator and all just fine from
then on.  Second battery drainer took it down in one day.  I went to the
alternator first, strong spark when touching the hot terminal with the
lead.  Another sign was that the alternator was warm to the touch.
Replaced it and all is well to this day.  What I suggest is that if you
have a battery drain problem with no more obvious reason (courtesy
lights, etc.) disconnect the hot lead from the alternator and see how
your battery holds up.  Wrap a little tape around the lead so as not to
bang into the frame while you wait for results.  New alternator is no
guarantee that it's a good one, do the test!

Les