Re: Very Quiet

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Very Quiet
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:38:16 -0400
At 08:53 AM 9/15/2006 -0500, Greg Schroeder wrote:

>On another note. Why I like to work on my own car.
>
>I have a 1998 Toyota Supra and the fog lights have not been working for
>several years. I had looked on the fuse box diagram and it would indicate a
>fuse for the fog lights before a couple of other fuses.....

>Insted of replacing the fuse with a new one it appears they removed the fog
>light fuse.  Fixed the A/C but disable the fog lights.  I installed a spare
>fuse from the engine fuse box and now they work.

Bill,

You've got to love those ingenious mechanics!! :)

>I am still not sure where to take the Bricklin for service, so I read
>service manuals and use this emal address to do the repairs.  After this I
>am not sure if I can take my Toyota any where and be sure the repair is done
>right, so I am even more leary of taken the Bricklin anywhere.

Ask everyone you run into, where is a good local independant shop.
Look around for the small mom & pop shops that have been in business
for quite some time. Then go in and talk to them.  If they don't want
to talk to you, and learn the indosyncrosies of the B then tell them
thanks and have a nice day.

We've got a mom and pop shop here, the owner, Greg, is in the local chapter
of the Antique Automobile Club of America with us.  Greg has been working
on my dads car for years and my cars when I don't have the time to
do the work, or if I'm stumped.  Greg also knows my dad is one of the few
members of the club that plays with foreign cars.  One day, I'm sitting at
my desk at work and my dad calls.  He asked if I wanted to go look a an old
Triumph that wouldn't stay running.

I asked what kind of TR it was, he indicated a TR3.  Well I live TR3s so
I said sure, and asked what the deal was.  He said that there was this
old TR in his friends shop.  The shop had done several minor things, but
the big problem was they can't figure out why it won't stay running.  So
the shop owner, Greg, called my dad asking if he know anyone in the area
that was good on TRs.  Dad say yes, he knew one of the Best TR men in
the area, he'd give him a call.  Well that call was to me. :)

It turns out, the car was a late model GT6, a very sweet car, except they
changed from SU to Stromberg carbs.  I hate Stromberg CD carbs.  But we
gave it a go.  Within 1/2 hr we had it fixed.  Turns out the car owner
had pulled the carbs to "rebuild" them.  When he put them back on, he
put the plate that holds the accelerator linkage in front of the front
carb like it is supposed to be, but put it behind the rear carb.  So there
was a huge vacuum leak.  Once we pulled the carb, and moved the plate,
she purred like a kitten.

Moral to the story, the shop knew when they were over their head, and went
looking for someone that knew the particular car.

Take care all.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229