RE: Engine will not start.

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine will not start.
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:21:24 -0400
At 08:08 AM 10/16/2007 -0400, Early, Stephen wrote:

>Since you have 12v at the + side of the coil, focus on the distributor.
>Are the cap and rotor clean inside?  Are the points clean and gapped
>correctly?  Is the wire from the condenser to the points in good shape?
>Is the wire from the points to the - side of the distributor in good
>shape?  Are the spark plug and coil wires in good shape?

Greg,

In addition to Steven's comments, try pullng the hightension line from the
distributor and hold it near a metal part and see if you get a spark.  If
you get one there and not at a plug, then your rotor button has shorted.
Last show I drove my Morgan to, I had that problem.  About 2 mi. from home
the eng. just quit.  Swapped rotor buttons and she fired right up.

If you don't have any spark at the higtension wire, and you have 12 V at the
coil, then check the settings on your points.  The shade tree mechanics
trick for this is a match book cover is about the right thickness to get the
points to work.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229