Re: Engine will not start.

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine will not start.
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:07:13 -0400
At 08:38 AM 10/16/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>John,
>
>Which wire is the high tension wire?  I have not heard that term before.
>
>I have a spark check device that does not show any spark.  I also tried a
>old motorcycle trick by removing a plug and touching the plug to a ground
>and cranking the engine to check for spark and did not see anything.

Greg,

Well technically you are right, all the leads from the distributor are
high tension - ie. 20,000+ Volts.  But the wire I'm reffering to is the
output wire from the coil to the distributor to the distributor.  If the
electronics or points are working correctly, the coil will output a very
high voltage, again 20,000 to 60,000 volts.  The high tension line is the
wire that takes this voltage to the distrubitor, where the spark is
distributed to the various spark plugs.

Just point the distributor end of the hightension wire from the coil to
some metal part on the engine for a ground.  Be sure to leave about an
1/8" for the spark to jump the cap.

The idea of pulling the spark plug is a good one.  But I ususually just
pull the wire from the plug and insert a screwdriver into the socket on
the end of the wire and hold the screwdriver near a ground.

For more info on the ignition system, see my article: "Electrical Primer -
The Ignition System", http://bricklin.org/TechCentral/TCArticle023.htm

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229