Re: Car started

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car started
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 08:09:21 -0400
At 09:39 PM 10/19/2007 -0500, Greg Schroeder wrote:

>OK, going through all the wiing again.  I decided to check the voltage at
>the choke.  Removed the lead and then thought I would try to start the car.
>Fired right up.

Greg,

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!  Glad to hear it!!!

That choke wire is switched 12V.  So when the car is in the run position
there is power to the choke.  In fact I use that wire to get power for the
relay on my air compressor.  So unless who ever installed the petrox system
tied into that.  But that would not explain how you were able to drive the
car home and then it died and would not re-start.

That I don't understand.  But then now you have a puzzle for another day.
Just be sure to tape off the connector so it doesn't short out to the engine
until you figure out what's going on.

Did you check the voltage at the coil both in the run and the start
positions of the ign switch?  The reason I asked, is I'm pretty sure
there is a resistive wire to the coil in the run position and you
should only get about 7 to 8V in the run.  But in the start position,
there is a plain piece of wire to give you 12V, a hotter spark for
cold starting.

But again, that doesn't explain the choke wire.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229