Isuzu Elan

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Isuzu Elan
From: mit-eddie!en.ecn.purdue.edu!chad@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Chad R Mccubbins)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 89 20:33:39 -0500
        While I'll agree a Japanese engine may not be such a bad thing for
reliability, I really wonder about performance/economy.  Aftering a header,
desmogging, and free-flowing exhaust on my TR-7, I consistantly got 35 mpg.
I also had plenty (well sort of) power for everyday driving.  My point is
Isuzu made the Chevette engine, early S-10 engines, their own pickup (as
if they're different than S-10s), and other trash.  Does one of the Premire
British companies deserve this?!?  Maybe a Mazda, Honda, or Toyota, but
not Isuzu.  I've known 3 people with Isuzus in some form with mixed, poor
results.  A GUTLESS chevette with 130,000 miles, a TRASHED ISUZU pickup
with 47,000 miles (knocks horribly with every start), and a S10 with Isuzu
engine( pig).  Oh don't forget the Chevy Luvs.  Fortunately, we don't have
them in Indiana anymore.  They all rusted away. Really. I mean why not
put Brigs and Straten engines in Ferraris?

        Oh my TR engine died at 77,289 with a spun bearing.  Realiability
wasn't there for our driving, but it ran good when it was alive.  I am sure
this is familiar with everyone here.  I can almost see the Sterling/Honda
venture as making sense, but this???

AAARRRGGGhhhhh

Chad MCCubbins
chad@en.ecn.purdue.edu