Isuzu Elan

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Isuzu Elan
From: mit-eddie!en.ecn.purdue.edu!chad@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Chad R Mccubbins)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 89 13:41:44 -0500

>>Isuzu made the Chevette engine, early S-10 engines, their own pickup (as
                ^^^^^^^^
>This *is* a piece of junk. But are you sure it's Isuzu? It doesn't say Isuzu on
>the valve cover, as all their other "chevy" engines do. (Spectrum, Luv..)
GM brought this in to 'fight' the Japanese in the 70's.  I read this from car
and Driver about a year ago, so it COULD be wrong.  I doubt it though.

>>if they're different than S-10s), and other trash.
>       They are different than S...-10's
Compare 84 Isuzu pickups and S10s.  They share engines, dashes, and A LOT of
body panels.  The taillights are different colors though.  GM usually put ext-
ensive trim on their trucks and eventually their own engine.  (Chilton manuals
call the early engines Isuzu even)  Then the S10 got a new interior '86? and
the Isuzu got a slightly different one.  They are quite different now because
of these changes.  Isuzu also redesigned their sheetmetal for '88.  Interesting
note: Isuzu is buying Chevy engines for some of their trucks now.  Why?
With Isuzu being 25+? % owned by GM I'd imagine they have no choice.  As you've
pointed out, they are capable of it

>>      Oh my TR engine died at 77,289 with a spun bearing.

>So who are you to "knock" ( :-) ) Isuzu? I don't really think Lotus would
>use their parts if they were junk.
Of coourse my TR engine died.  It's "supposed" to.  I didn't have the desire/
wish/$$ to rebuild the engine, so I installed a V8.  Anyway, I realize that
your Isuzu was an old friend and mean no intentional flaming like rec.auto.*.
My TR7 with a 5 speed was also an old friend I often miss.  With an auto,
new paint and gobs of HP, it's not MY car.  But I must admit, I don't miss
Lucus alternators, elect ignition, or leaking oil.  I don't miss Zenith
Strombergs, or enclosed oilfilters.  I miss my car though.
        My fear with the Isuzu Elan is two-fold.  1.  Did GM really give them
a choice in this matter?  I remember reading about this car years ago.  GM also
took the Vauxhall (sp?) Astra, had it built in Korea, and sold it as the
Pontiac Lemans.  Look for the Vauxhalls in James Bond movies.  They look
like nice little cars.  Not all bright 'sporty' colors like ours.  But,
the Lemans may be a nice car though (cheap) :-).  I guess Saab's done
okay with my TRs engine, so it's possible.

2.  Does Isuzu know the stress this engine is going to have to take?
 Does Lotus now just build supension?  Are they always going to cheap out?
This car is no more English than my own TR7 with Ford transplant.  At least
mine gained something from the swap.  Would anyone put an IMark engine
in even a ragged MGB?   I guess I just feel betrayed.  This reminds me of
GMs line of thought, " Buy these great American Applepie, and Hotdog cars from
us"*      *Engine assembles in Brazil
   It just seems that the Lotus reaks of GM influence.

>++++ No flames intended, just righting the memory of an old friend...++++++
Nor I, just thought Lotus was an old friend.  Jaguar better keep out the
Ford people (The shape you want to be in.. Mercury.  Where did they get that
catchy phrase??).

Chad McCubbins               " Triumph TR-7:  The shape of things to come...."
400 N. River Rd #1004
W. Lafayette IN 47906        And go.
chad@en.ecn.purdue.edu       But quite quickly at times!  :-)