Re: What it's about.

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: What it's about.
From: mit-eddie!decwrl.dec.com!metaphor!twisted!borman@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Tom Borman)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 89 17:33:09 PST
>Since buying my 4A, I've rediscovered what driving is about. It's about
>experiencing the sights, sounds and smells of my car, the road and
>world around me. It's not about isolating myself from the world in a
>little cocoon, a miniature replica of my home.

Hmmm. Let me have a swipe at this. What *is* all this enthusiasm about??

For me,
It's about the sound of the engine.
It's about paying attention to everything the car does.
It's about the flat, sideways push of rounding a turn at speed.
It's about enjoying the accomplishment of just keeping (most :-)) everything
        working.
It's about the quiet click as a properly adjusted fibreglas (glass fibre? :-))
        door shuts.
It's about a friendly wave from another enthusiast.
It's about the older man (or woman :-)) who comes by in the parking lot with
        stories from way back "when I had a ...".
It's about the wide eyes of a small child who "never saw one of those before"
It's about improving the way some system works without violating the idea of
        having the car in the first place.
It's about the minor adventure of every trip.
It's about being stranded in a vicious downpour on the day when I knew I
        wouldn't need the umbrella.
It's about sharing with a (mostly :-)) trusted friend rather than operating
        an appliance.

Sigh. Grin.

Lotus Position:
(yoga) a sitting posture with the legs crossed and
the hands resting on the thighs near the knees.

(enthusiast) a reclining posture with head and shoulders inserted
into the driver's side footbox, arms tangled up in the behind-dash wiring
and legs hanging out into space.
Tom Borman
Metaphor Computer Systems
System Software