Re: What it's about.

To: hoosier!mjb@cs
Subject: Re: What it's about.
From: George.Emery@p42.f4.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (George Emery)
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 89 09:22:36 PST
Oh, oh, oh!  I'll join in on this one...

 > It's about the older man (or woman :-)) who comes by in the parking lot with
 >         stories from way back "when I had a ...".
 > It's about the wide eyes of a small child who "never saw one of those before"

People's reactions are the best!  Even my unpainted GT-6+ is getting looks and
compliments.  I've had one kid, about 11, suddenly holler from the sidewalk
while I was at a stoplight, "Nice car, mister!"

Picking up a friend, there were several kids playing outside her apartment.
One asked if it was a sports car and another said, "You can get this repainted,
you know.  I think you really ought to repaint this."

Then there's the Mini... Jaywalkers are my favorites because when they hear
Herman coming, their eyes go wide and they scatter, most effectively, for the
sidewalk to stare, point, and leave their mouths wide open.  Nope, I never
have problems with pedestrians getting in the way!

 > It's about improving the way some system works without violating the idea of
 >         having the car in the first place.
 > It's about the minor adventure of every trip.

Yeah, these two go together quite well.  Particularly with aging Minis.
"Adventures with George" is something of a trademark...

 > It's about being stranded in a vicious downpour on the day when I knew I
 >         wouldn't need the umbrella.

That NEVER happens in Portland!  At least not to those of us who grew up
here.

 > It's about sharing with a (mostly :-)) trusted friend rather than operating
 >         an appliance.

Amen.

                 "It's a self-preservation society."
                   from theme of The Italian Job.
--
George Emery - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
            UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!4.42!George.Emery