I love winter

To: alliant!alliant.alliant.com!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: I love winter
From: sgi!abingdon.wpd.sgi.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Scott Fisher)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 89 10:59:12 PST
Well, okay, so I'm a winter wimp... Still, I love northern
California winters and British convertibles.  I've had the
MGB out the past couple of days (we just celebrated his
first anniversary!), enjoying the morning fog, the evening
condensation on the inside of the windscreen, the cold air
whipping my cheeks and blasting down the nape of my neck
in the one place where the scarf and the hat don't meet.

Next week or so, I'm going to do something that I've been
longing to do since, well, for over two years at least.
We have a baby girl (sniff, she's not a baby anymore, she
just got her first Big Girl Bed, and we packed up the crib)
who'll be two on Sunday.  She *loves* the cars, especially
the MG.  Loves to ride in it; during the summer months,
when I came home, she'd run to the screen door, make such
a fuss that Kim let her out and Torrey would run to my
car and clamor to be let in.  I'd set her in the passenger
seat and ask, "Ready?"  "Go!" she'd yell, and we'd race
all the way into the garage at the heady rate of 2 or 3 mph...
The Targa Florio, the Marathon de la Route, and the Vingt-
Quatre Heures du Mans together couldn't be as exciting.

Well, sometime in the next week, I'm going to bundle her
up, put the seat in the B, wrap myself in my big jacket and
cap, and we're going out to look at Christmas lights.  With
the top down.  The only thing finer would be if it were a
YA Tourer -- they have four seats -- but I figure this is
as close as we can get to a one-horse open sleigh without
buying oats.

Status report: Well, of the four cars we own, the Biscuit Tin
of Steel is in getting, er, electrical work done.  Kim's
Chevelle won't start on damp days because of corrosion in
the battery lead (gonna fix it Saturday).  This means that
the MG is used, not on the basis of fun, but of reliability...
Interesting.  Of course, the other car, the Milennium Falcon,
is also running just fine, so the baby's chair is strapped
into it as required.

Actually, it just dawned on me that one of my cars is getting
a new relay panel, the other needs a battery connection, the
third leaks oil something fierce, and the fourth is an MGB
which has a little grabbiness in the clutch but otherwise
runs like a dream.  What's wrong with this picture??? :-)