Re: rear clunking cont.

To: mit-eddie!gatech!ken@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: Re: rear clunking cont.
From: linus!harvard!uunet.uu.net!att!speedy!gerry%ursa-major.SPDCC.COM@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 89 12:38:07 -0500
Ted Lepich writes:

        > It looks like a long time dream may finally come true.
        > I am very seriously considering the purchase a Jaguar XKE.
        >
        >What I would greatly appreciate from you is some input on;
        >things I can expect or be prepared for, what to look for, and
        >general impressions of the car.

Ted :
        I remember reading an article a few years ago in Classic Cars
about what to look for when buying an E-type and the two things that I
remember most were :

 1) Make sure that the bonnet (hood) is in good order and has no damage,
such as filler, dents, rust etc. From what the article said this item
is very vunerable and suffers a lot of abuse. To repair them will cost
an arm and a leg.

 2) The construction of the body is such that the central "tub" ( everything
between the footwells/winscreen pillar to the back of the "back" seat)
does almost all of the structural work (as in most convertibles).
The article pointed out however, that in the E-type, this tub is a
complicated structure, with many of the beams/outriggers/members, either
hard to get to or completely inaccessible.

This article pointed out that any serious rust in this "tub" needs to be
recified immediately and that to get at some of the members is difficult
and time consuming. I think the conclusion of the article was that if
there were any prblems in this area, then either look for an other car
or be prepared to spend a lot of money.

I'm writing this article from memory so please excuse the accuracy !!

Gerry (12/7)