Jaguar hunting

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Jaguar hunting
From: mit-eddie!gotham.East.Sun.COM!mlong@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Martin Long - NYC Sales Rep.)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 11:21:42 EST
>Subject: Re: Wanted: experiences with Jag XKE
>
> Ted Lepich writes:
>
>>      It looks like a long time dream may finally come true.
>>      I am very seriously considering the purchase a Jaguar XKE.

>>      What I would greatly appreciate from you is some input on;
>>      things I can expect or be prepared for, what to look for, and
>>      general impressions of the car.

I've been watching this mailing list for about a week now.  I'm thrilled that
there's some Jag discussion surfacing.  I was going to post this in a couple
of weeks, but since the discussion has already started, I want to get in there
before I miss out.  (By the way, Ted: can you please email me your original
posting?  I missed it)

In the back of my mind, ever since I was just that high, I've found the
E-Type to be an exceptionally attractive automobile.  I never really gave
it much consideration, because I never thought that I'd be able to afford
one.  Well good fortune has shined upon me.   I now think that I'll be able
to swing it -- no sooner than 6 months from now; no later than two years.
(wow!  sounds like a long time, but at least it's within striking range).

Anyhow, I'm thinking of buying an early '60s e-type roadster, in something
better than miserable condition.  It would be nice if it ran.  It looks like
I'll have to spend somewhere around $20K for the initial investment -- this
is really my limit; I wouldn't mind spending less up front.  I then want to
put into it whatever it takes to make it an awesome car.  What's your guess?
$10K?  $20K?  I really don't know.

I've never restored a car before -- but that doesn't scare me.  I've spent
plenty of time working on my used cars (VWs and Datsuns).  The kind of advice
that I'm looking for would fall into three categories:

     1) Buying a car.  I need to acquire the knowledge on what model years
        are good, and which are bad.  I also need to know what the going
        rate for various condition cars is.  This, I suppose, is best gotten
        by going out and seeing cars -- but in Manhattan (where I live) this
        is a bit difficult.  Once I'm comfortable with the market and am
        ready to buy, I'll fly anywhere in the country to check out a good
        prospect;

     2) Checking out the car.  Are there specific Jaguar gotchas for particular
        model years or for particular auto systems.  Are '63 transmissions
        notoriously unreliable, or do the chassis of '65s rust away?

     3) Restoring.  I like to jump in with both feet, and am looking forward
        to getting dirty with a car again.  What is the best source of info/
        advise on how to go about starting a resoration job?  What good books
        are there out there?  I assume I strip down and start from the
        chassis and build up.  But what systems are best to use professionals
        for (rebuilding the engine?  the electrical system?).

This is why I was trying to find a club in the area.  I thought that if I could
get to know a few local experts, some of the above information would begin to
flow.  I want to start looking into these Jaguar issues now, so when I'm ready
to buy, I can just do it.

Any and all advise is welcome,

--Martin