Re: Jaguar hunting

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Jaguar hunting
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 15:51:09 EDT
Its becoming harder and harder to find a complete pre-1968 E-type roadster
for less than $20000.  It is still possible, but it's tough.  Beware of
incomplete cars.  Some pieces are very expensive (chrome particularly) or
are difficult to find (seat rails, for instance).

Early XKE's (1961 and 1962) have flat front floors, and are uncomfortable
because of that (not enough space for your feet).  They also have other
unique features depending on how early the car is (external bonnet latches,
aluminum radiator, etc.)  These cars are more valuable than later cars
because there aren't really that many of them, so unless you are a collector
I wouldn't consider these.  They are more expensive and less comfortable
than later cars.

XKE's had the same engine and transmission through early 1964:  3.8 liter
straight six, and 4 speed (1st not synchronized) Moss gearbox.  The engine
is powerful, visceral, free-reving, but not necessarily smooth by today's
standards.  Most of the power is in the higher rev ranges, and it makes the
car feel much more tossable than those with the 4.2 liter engine.  I really
like the 3.8 liter engine.  Unfortunately my enthusiasm doesn't extend to the
gearbox.  The Moss gearbox is slow, the throw is long, it just isn't any fun.
The brakes were also significantly improved at the same time.  The pre-1964
brakes are entirely inadequate by modern standards.

In 1964 Jaguar offered an optional 4.2 liter engine which virtually every car
that came to the U.S. received.  They also replaced the Moss gearbox with
Jaguar's own all synchromesh 4 speed.  While you wouldn't mistake the Jaguar
gearbox for the Mazda Miata's (the best gearbox I know of), it is a big
improvement over the old Moss box.  The reason I know that the 4.2 was an
option is that I actually drove a 1964 that had a 3.8 engine (not a transplant,
this car was extremely original).  It was a delight; by far the best driving
E-Type that I have had the pleasure of driving.

Detail improvements were made over the years.  The seats changed several
times, each change for the better.  The cooling system got an electric
fan, and in 1967 got 2 electric fans.  Early cars had tacky looking metal
on the dash and center console, it got replaced with better-looking vinyl
and leather.  The big changes were made in 1968 when the headlights became
uncovered, the dash was redesigned, and the engine lost power (in the U.S.).

Because of this, most people consider 1967 to be the best year for the
E-Type.  It has the nicest of the series I seats, has a dual fan cooling
system, in addition to the larger engine, better brakes, etc.

I guess which year you look for is more a function of what you value.  I
really liked that 1964 with the 3.8 liter engine, and wouldn't mind owning
it.  I wouldn't really look for anything earlier than 1964 because of the
bad brakes and transmission (they also have a generator and positive ground
electrical system, which is a pain).

                                                Joe