clunk

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: clunk
From: uunet!bally.Bally.COM!pete@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Pete Gregory)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 12:00:29 PST

> This weekend after a nice drive to the beach, our '66 MGB developed
> a rear axle clunk. :( The clunking happens when changing gears on fast
> acceleration and when breaking (and sometimes when turning corners.)

I'd definitely get this looked at.  This reminds me of a story...

        I had a '69 GT6+, and a mysterious "ringing" sound appeared.
        Whenever I abruptly stepped on the throttle (or let it off
        suddenly), I would hear a faint but distinct "ring".  Over
        several weeks it got louder and louder.  Finally it drove
        me crazy enough to investigate.

        It turned out to be the forward U-joint.  All the needle
        bearings were *gone* from one bearing - it was ready to fall
        apart.  In fact, I disassembled it without tools!!!!!

        The ring was the sound the driveshaft made when it struck
        the frame, it was so out-of-slop!!!

Get this clunk fixed, or at least looked at.  You might end up being
stranded somewhere (or worse).

      +------------------------------+
______| uucp:   uunet!bally!pete     |_________________________________________
      | domain: pete@bally.bally.com |
      | phone:  702-323-6156 x882    |
      | FAX:    702-323-5997   +-------------------------------+
      +------------------------|  Pete Gregory, Software Engr. |
     / /            | |        |  Product Design Consultant    |
   /  /             | |        |  Bally Systems, Inc.          |
 / / |      ___     | |        |  255 Bell St.                 |
|     \    |65 |    | |        |  Reno, NV  89503  USA         |