Re: Loose wheels

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Loose wheels
From: Eric Dashman <mit-eddie!rti.rti.org!dashman@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 08:08:50 EST
I once had a strange problem with my BJ8.  The splined hub that holds the
wheel and knockoff is held in place on the axle shaft with 4 splined bolt/studs.
(the kind with splines and threads).  I didn't know it, but the splines had
somehow gotten quite worn and the studs loosened, wallowing out the holes in
the hub that they passed through to hold the hub in place.  I discovered this
problem when I was trying to drive the car 4 miles to my new house (not my
current new house, but a rental place years ago).  As I made a left hand turn
onto my new street, the car lost about 25% of its value...and certainly
traction...as the right rear wheel rolled into the ditch.  I'll tell you this,
it's tough to drive with only three tires when the car is designed for four.
Friends (and I use this term loosely) have directed pointed barbs in my
direction for lo these many years since the mishap.

BTW, my solution was simple and cost effective.  I took the hub to a welder
who arc-welded the old holes closed.  Since he was also a machinist, I had him
drill 4 new holes to the correct size, and of course the correct radius.  I
bought new splined studs and lug-nuts and voila, nary a problem since.  A new
hub would have been a significant expenditure compared to the $30 I spent (not
counting the towing bill :-)).

Eric Dashman