Loose wheels

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Loose wheels
From: linus!xait!pyrthoth.pyramid.com!robbp@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Rob Pryor)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 16:24:50 PST
>>I know I need new splines, and I should probably replace that wheel

>[Story of car and wheel going their own ways deleted]

I remember reading in the "Healey Highlights" back a few years a ago about
a guy on tour with the San Jose club.  Seems that the group made a pitstop
on the way home (home being something like 2-4hrs away) and when our hero
attempted to proceed again, the splines on one of the rear wheels let go.
This apparently had the same effect as having one wheel stuck in mud or
snow, lots of show and no go.  While our hero was trying to decide what to
do, someone else told him to jack the car up and remove the free-wheeling
wheel.  This fellow cut the ends off of the aluminum pop can he had just
finished and put it over the ruined splines then they jammed the wheel
on over the can and put the knock-off back on.  This got him back home.

robb ("Healeys Forever") pryor