re: Loose wheels

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: re: Loose wheels
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 8:31:23 CDT

> >>[Story of car and wheel going their own ways deleted]
> >
> >I remember reading in the "Healey Highlights" back a few years a ago about
> >a guy on tour with the San Jose club.  Seems that the group made a pitstop
> >on the way home (home being something like 2-4hrs away) and when our hero
> >attempted to proceed again, the splines on one of the rear wheels let go.
> >This apparently had the same effect as having one wheel stuck in mud or
> >snow, lots of show and no go.  While our hero was trying to decide what to
> >do, someone else told him to jack the car up and remove the free-wheeling
> >wheel.  This fellow cut the ends off of the aluminum pop can he had just
> >finished and put it over the ruined splines then they jammed the wheel
> >on over the can and put the knock-off back on.  This got him back home.
> >
> >robb ("Healeys Forever") pryor
>
> Another solution to the problem would have been to swap the wheel
> and hub that was slipping with a good set from the front of the car.
> (That is assuming the hub on the front of the Healey is the same
> as the one on the rear.  On Triumphs, they are the same.)
>
> Having done that, (The swap that is), you would still need to
> drive in a most cautious fashion, esopecially while braking because
> if the wheel begins to slip under braking, it could back off the
> knockoff and result in a lost wheel.
>
> Off course, if you swap front to rear, it must be remembered that
> the swap must be done on the same side of the car because the
> knockoffs and hubs are either righthand or left hand depending
> on the side of the car they are on.
>
> Bill Sohl

Huh?  The knockoff caps are threaded opposite on each side of the car,
as are the threads on the hubs, obviously.  The spline itself is
identical regardless of position. You will note that the caps are
marked "right" or "left", and when you are installing halfshafts or
front hubs you are well advised to pay attention.  But I have never
seen a wire wheel marked "right" or "left".  Any wheel should mount on
any corner of the car.  God knows I mixed and matched my 6 Spridget
and 2 MGB wheels like crazy before I converted to disk wheels.
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324