Speedo on TR6 (and E-Type)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Speedo on TR6 (and E-Type)
From: mit-eddie!harvard!beaver.cs.washington.edu!microsoft!timke@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu Feb 15 12:32:32 1990
> > When I first bought my TR6, I was talking with the mechanic that
> > had maintained it(previous owner didn't know how to use a screwdriver.
> > This guy even changed wiper blades for him!). He told me that, as is
> > true with most British sports cars,that the tach and speedo indicate
> > the SAME position on the dials in top gear. I don't have an OD so I
> > don't know if this would apply in that case, but my gauges do this
> > very thing. In top gear, the speedo and tach register at exactly the
> > same tic marks(my gauges have the same tic graduations)! Therefore,
> > If my speedo went on the blink I could look at the tach indication
> > and surmise the speed. I was impressed.
> >

> > Was this guy right about non-TRs?
>
> I can't speak for other cars, but my friends '70 E-Type Jag is that way.
> When he's in fourth gear, the tach and speedo read the same relative
> position on the dial.  In fact, a friend of his has another Jag E-Type
> (I think it's a '67) with a broken speedo.  He just looks at the
> tach to see how fast he's goin'.

Well, what a handy piece of information...  I never noticed that on my
'70 TR6 because for the 4 years I've had it the tach has spent about 6
months working.  I'm now on my 3rd (!) tach.  Speedo works great, tho'.

As for the E-Type, I bought a '68 roadster last spring and the speedo
was DOA.  Gee, maybe the speedo angle drive in the glove box has something
to do with it not working :-).  This tach trick would be quite useful if
my tach had any bearing to reality.  Which brings me to question 1: what
would make the tach read proportionately high (like reading 1400 for 1000
and 2800 for 2000 when checked with a diagnostic tach)?  Question 2: has
anybody out there ever hooked an E-Type's speedo up?  It looks like the
angle drive connects the cable to the top of the trans.  I can't figure
out how to get to it without pulling the trans or the carpet.  Bentley
implies that those are the only 2 ways to do it.  Please tell me it ain't
so.

Tim Keane
timke@microsoft