Re: Speedo on TR6 (and E-Type)

To: jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com
Subject: Re: Speedo on TR6 (and E-Type)
From: ultra!apple!tolsoft!craig@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Craig Harmer)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 18:20 PST
        Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 11:58:26 EST
        From:
tolsoft!amdahl!ames!garp.MIT.EDU!mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup (Randell
Jesup)
        To: british-cars@Alliant.COM

        >well, on my friends bugeye'd sprite, the tachometer was electrical, and
        >measured the RPM by means of an inductive pickup off the wire bringing
        >12 volts (originally ground) to the coil.  when the points closed, and
        >the coil charged, a current would flow in the wire which would induce a
        >voltage inside the tach.

        Uh, I think you're confused.  The Bugeye's (and the Mk II's) had
mechanical
        tachs run off the generator (via a hard-to-find little gearbox).
Starting
        with the Mk III (1098cc, roll-up windows, etc) they switched to the
        inductive tachs, which were used for the rest of the sprites and
midgets.
        Also interesting was that the inductive tachs would vary their readings
        slightly depending on whether the lights were on (voltage drop).

oh!  his car was definitely a bugeye, so i guess someone had retrofitted
an inductive tach into it.  i guess i was confused as to how the tach
switch was done, though ...

                                craig