Connections, Colours, Convertibles, and Collections

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Connections, Colours, Convertibles, and Collections
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 08:47:25 EST
Larry S. sez:
>       I've got two questions for you fellow SOL'ers.

>        1)  ...what does 'SOL' mean?
Traditional: Sons Of Lucas
Modern, non-sexist: Servants of Lucas
(Lucas the originator of the much maligned, sometimes rightfully so, Lucas
 electrical systems found on many British cars.)

>        2)  I have problems with corrosion on electical connectors sometimes.
>            I'll remove that connection and clean it with a wire brush and
>            I've heard that some people will clean the connection and then
>            coat the terminal with something like grease to keep a good
>            connection.
See 1) above. :-)
A de-oxidizing agent is sometimes desired. Keep the air, and the water out,
and the connection has a much better chance. Some folks use grease, but there
are better, more stable soultions. Vasaline is much more inert, and will
tend to last longer. There are commercial anti-oxidizers, used by electricians,
especially necessary with mixed connections, such as the join of copper and
aluminimun wires. Available from elecrtical supply houses.

        T.J. Higgins ... discusses 3 new ragtops from GM:
>       I was expecially taken by the Geo Metro Lsi convertible.  This thing
>       looks to me like a Mini would look with it's roof cut off.
>       (all the above GM cars are considered 4-seaters),
4 seaters, eh? Not exactly the sport class. Sounds a bit more like the market
share of the Triumph Herald, Morris Minor, VW, and other convertablized small
sedans. A family car with redeeming qualitys.

        Mark Joseph Andy   (welcome, Mark!)
>       Well, my Dad's in the process of restoring his '63 AH Sprite and asked
>       me to find out what colors were original.

Well, I checked the Moss and Motorhead catalogues, no luck. I know I have
MGB colour charts, complete with R&M, Ditzler, and? crosses, but mayby not
Spridget. Oh, yea, this is one area where Midget and Sprites are likely to
differ. You may be able to call Moss tech line- (805) 968-1041, if
someone else doesn't come up with a chart.

Caution time- I'm checking out a '72 TR6 this weekend, which may be a good
source for an engine for Ed's Stag & other parts. It is said to have body
rot and electrical problems. I'm hoping it's not good enough to resurrect,
as I might be tempted! (what? a TR at the S.L.Centre? Well, if it runs, and
the top comes down... Look out TR-MG wars-  direct marquee comparison!)
Anyone need TR6 parts?
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!