Re: On the subject of Brit car/Miata clones....

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: On the subject of Brit car/Miata clones....
From: mit-eddie!iris.brown.edu!ejd@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 04:50:16 EST
Mark Brandemeuhl writes:
A friend who works at Ford has told me about a two seat ragtop they are
planning to release sometime "...in the near future..."  I forget the model
name, but it is an Americanized version of an Australian convertible...
maybe a Cortina?  Of course they are having tremendous problems making
it "crash safe" for the American market and some other small problems
such as emissions are going to add to the price.  I'm not sure they
will ever work everything out, but it should be an interesting vehicle.
[end of citation]

This would be the Capri, an Aussie Ford based on the 323/Escort platform.
It's a 2+2 as opposed to a 2str, and sadly is FWD.

According to AutoWeek, the problems seem to be Ford management and QC rather
than any real technical details.  The car has been an 'any-day-now'
proposition for the last 2 years, and they really got skunked with the
Miata.

ed