carbon canisters

To: british-cars@Alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: carbon canisters
From: R. Eugene Johnston (smp) <mit-eddie!cs.unc.edu!rej@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 10:23:53 EST
I have had periodic trouble with the fuel system on my 72 XJ6 and
have decided to clean replace, etc the fuel system. It has a charcoal
canister as part of the emission system, about the only thing left of
the original emission system on this car, and I thought I should replace it
Unfortunately, a replacement is "not available" I could, I suppose replace it
with something from another brand auto. My question is how can I tell if it
needs to be replaced, can it be cleaned and reused? What experience have
you all had with charcoal canisters?
Gene Johnston
Univ. North Carolina,
Chapel Hill, NC