Re: carbon canisters

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: carbon canisters
From: mit-eddie!bevsun.bev.lbl.gov!guy@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Aran Guy)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 08:31:28 PST
 What I do, if the canister isn't hopelessly mucked up,
is pump on it with a good vacuum pump until it bases to around
100 microns.
 With hopelessly mucked up ones, I drill a roughly 1" hole in the
side and use a coathanger to scrape out the beads, and refill with
activated charcoal beads from that 55 gallon drum just down the hall
from where I'm sitting now. (These are scavenged from our cryogenic
pumping system, and they haven't seen much more than vacuum for years.)
 I don't know where regular folks get charcoal from, that stuff that
goes in backyard barbeques ain't good for much. Oh the joys of this place!
And the things you can do with liquid Nitrogen! It's the _only_ thing
to use on glued on carpeting, recalcitant wristpins, and pressed-on
starter rings.
  Aran Guy  guy@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov         LBL
    Knobtwister and Buttonpusher           And me be me
 SuperHeavy Ion Linear Accelerator         Our opinions
Accelerator and Fusion Research Division   Rarely agree.