Re: Speedo on TR6 (and E-Type) & Bugeye swaps

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Speedo on TR6 (and E-Type) & Bugeye swaps
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 8:07:53 CDT

>  Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 11:58:26 EST
>  From: tolsoft!amdahl!ames!garp.MIT.EDU!mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup
>(Randell Jesup)
>  To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
>  Subject: Re:  Speedo on TR6 (and E-Type)
>
>  >well, on my friends bugeye'd sprite, the tachometer was electrical, and
>  >measured the RPM by means of an inductive pickup off the wire bringing
>  >12 volts (originally ground) to the coil.  when the points closed, and
>  >the coil charged, a current would flow in the wire which would induce a
>  >voltage inside the tach.
>
>  Uh, I think you're confused.  The Bugeye's (and the Mk II's) had mechanical
>  tachs run off the generator (via a hard-to-find little gearbox).  Starting
>  with the Mk III (1098cc, roll-up windows, etc) they switched to the
>  inductive tachs, which were used for the rest of the sprites and midgets.
>  Also interesting was that the inductive tachs would vary their readings
>  slightly depending on whether the lights were on (voltage drop).
>
> oh!  his car was definitely a bugeye, so i guess someone had retrofitted
> an inductive tach into it.  i guess i was confused as to how the tach
> switch was done, though ...
>
>     craig

I am not really surprized by this.  Bugeyes with 1275s and disk brakes
are not that uncommon.  The mechanical tachs were, I understand,
troublesome, so i'm sure a lot of them have been replaced.  Also, a
lot of cars have had alternators put in, or later model generators
without the tach drive.  My speedo bounces badly sometimes and my
Smiths (electric) tach is wildly optomistic.  I just enjoy the sound
(no radio, either)  any try not to worry about any of it.
phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324