Re: Minis

To: alliant!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Minis
From: sgi!abingdon.wpd.sgi.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Scott Fisher)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 14:55:12 PST
        So, what can anyone tell me about Minis?

Quite a bit...

        Alternately, can anyone recommend any good books on Minis?

Lindsay Porter's Guide To Purchas & DIY Restoration is a good
place to start, as is the Practical Classics Mini Restoration
book (can't remember the exact title, but PC is a British mag
that rebuilds wretched heaps of iron oxide into show cars and
publishes stories to pay the cost.)  These are both excellent
sources of information on the Mini.

        There's a Mini 850 (1960-1963, the owner's not sure) with an 1100 engine
        and a Cooper head for sale here,

Sounds like the 12G295 head and 1098cc block out of an MG 1100.
A common retrofit into one of the small-bore Minis (my Traveler
had just such a combination).  The 295 head is the best-flowing
head of the small-bore engines (1100cc and lower).  Check under
the valve cover for a casting number.

        and I and a friend are more than
        vaguely interested in its value as an SCCA racer.  The car's been
        modified enough by past owners that I wouldn't mind hacking it further.
         I haven't seen the car yet, so I have no details, and the owner was
        less than knowledgeable, but it sparked my already budding interest in
        Minis (I have a warm place in my heart for both tiny cars and A-series
        engines).

Good choice!  Minis are great cars in GT5, where the SCCA has
them classed right now; the class records at both Sears Point
and Laguna Seca are held by a Mini.  They require only a tiny
amount of re-engineering (mainly additional chassis stiffness
and disc brakes, which were used on the Cooper S cars and are
therefore available fairly easily), and they are very much an
understood quantity in the racing world.  The A Series engine
is also a good base for a racing car, as it has been hacked a
bit over the last 30 years.

Prices vary, but nun-rusted, running Minis seem to be selling
for about $2500 in only moderately ratty condition.  They can
sell for as much as $10,000 in impeccable condition, or if it
is a historically important car for more than that, but $5000
plus or minus a grand or so seems to be the average price for
most Minis in very good condition.