Re: Minis

To: hoosier!sol@cs
Subject: Re: Minis
From: mit-eddie!p42.f4.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG!George.Emery@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (George Emery)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 09:21:34 PST
 > So, what can anyone tell me about Minis?

Probably more than you really want to know...

 > Alternately, can anyone recommend any good books on Minis?

Any of David Vizard's books (How to Modify Your Mini and the one on
A-series engines and the one on nitrous oxide) and the DIY Restoration series.

 > There's a Mini 850 (1960-1963, the owner's not sure) with an 1100 engine
 > and a Cooper head for sale here, and I and a friend are more than
 > vaguely interested in its value as an SCCA racer.

The 1100 engine is the worst for road racing, but it's an excellent
autocrosser because of its long stroke/high torque.  Would probably also
do okay in hillclimb.  The important thing with Minis is that you
need to strip weight out of it if you're going to race it, particularly
with the smallbores.  Suspension mods and engine mods are pretty standard.
--
George Emery - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
            UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!4.42!George.Emery